Create Calendar entries via javascript API

Tim Edelmann

Hey there, 

as part of our integrations, we want to be able to setup entries in the 'overview calendar' for 'projects and users'. for example 'Add Leave' should be available. Ideally this should be done via external api-calls in javascript. by executing this:

console.info(Object.keys(session.schemas));
for (schema in session.schemas)
{
  console.info(session.schemas[schema]);
}

We found out, that there is something called: 'CalendarEvent'. Are we on the right track, playing with this? Since we don't know, how to deal with this, we shoot in every direction..

Is it possible to 'Add Leave' for a user via the javascript api? If yes, how is it done?

We tried this: 

var query = 'select id from CalendarEvent';

But the result is: '(node:7332) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection (rejection id: 1): ReferenceError: request is not defined'

Any help/assistance/ideas are greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance

Tim

Update*

having this..

date_begin = Date(2018, 1, 13);
date_end = Date(2018, 1, 15);

var obj = 
    {
      id: 'CalendarEvent',
      name: 'TEdelmann',
      start: date_begin,
      end: date_end
    };

var result = session.create("CalendarEvent", obj);
console.info(result);

we get a "Promise { <pending> }" result. But it seems, we do not provide the correct parameters, or something else isn't correct. 

Update2*

if we handle the result (from last post), it seems to get added. We are able to list calendarevents for user 'TEdelmann' with this:

var query = session.query('select id from CalendarEvent');
query.then(function (response)
{
  console.info('response:\n' + response.data.length + ' entries');
  if ('data' in response)
  {
    for (entry in response.data)
    {
      console.info(response.data[entry]);
    }
  }
});

But the listed calendarEvents aren't shown on the webinterface (i.e. in the 'Projects and Users' calendar). 

Is there something else, we have todo? Or is this still the wrong way  to do it?

thanks again. 

Hi Tim, for it to appear properly in the web interface you will want to do one of the following:

• Attach it to a project with project_id.
  • Allocate it to a user by creating CalendarEventResource with resource_id and calendar_event_id.
  • Making it a Leave event assigned to someone (see above) or everyone. Attributes are booleans: leave and everyone

I hope this helps

...one last follow-up on this:

After having successfully created a 'leave'-entry. How am I supposed to delete it via the api?

What I am trying so far..

session.initializing.then(function()
{
  // get user
  return session.query('select id from User where username = "' + user_name + '"');
}).then(function (user) 
{
  user_id = user.data[0].id;

// with the user, get the CalendarEventResource with the corresponding resource_id
  return session.query('select id from CalendarEventResource where resource_id is "' + user_id + '"');
}).then(function (calendar_event_resource)
{
  	  	return [calendar_event_resource, session.query('select id from CalendarEvent where id is "' + calendar_event_resource.data[0].calendar_event_id + '" and name is "' + type + '" and start <= "' + starting_date + '" and end >= "' + ending_date + '"')];
}).then(function(data)
{
  data[1].then(function(result)
  {
    // this shows, that the result is 'empty' (i.e. "data: [],  metadata: { next: { offset: null } } }" )
    console.info(result);
  });
});

So Its possible to select the calendarEventResource by providing the resource_id. But from there I cannot access the "CalendarEventResource.calendar_event_id" property (as set on creation) to get the correct CalendarEvent linked to it. 

I want to delete both objects when a vacation gets canceled (CalendarEvent AND CalenderEventResource).  Otherwise for each canceled Leave / Vacation there would still be a lonely CalendarEvent lying around, if I just delete the CalendarEventResource!?!

and thanks again :)

on my follow-up:

I solved this myself by getting the CalendarEvent for a given time frame (starting and ending dates) first. This should always be only one result. From there I select the corresponding CalendarEventResource and can delete both objects. 

But is it somehow possible to retrieve CalendarEvents and read the starting and ending dates? The CalendarEvent I get, only have these properties:

{ __entity_type__: 'CalendarEvent',
    id: '5b677504-1245-11e8-a8ac-7ab7a47c9dda' }

Archived