Versions in ftrack. Not the versions we're looking for? =)

Henrik Cednert

Hello

So, i'm a bit sad that versions in ftrack isn't connected to the version number in our uploaded file names. Are there any long term plans regarding versions and making them a bit more connected with what we already have? To me the current behaviour is a big source of misunderstandings and mix ups. 

Cheers

To solve this in our pipeline, we have written a custom script to publish assets to Ftrack.

Using the Python API, you can create an AssetVersion object and before publishing it you can overwrite the version number that ftrack suggested with whatever number you want (for example based on the file name).

I agree that some options of version handling would be handy. The trouble is that different studios might have very different version naming convention and systems so figuring out something that would work across the board would be challenging. On the other hand, I was developing on a production recently where current default version handling was actually requested because they specifically wanted to have ftrack versions for review separated from file versioning.

Ftrack in vanilla state is currently very opened system and quite frankly needs a developer to make full use of it (as does shotgun I'd say). I'm hoping things will get simpler with future updates.

Just a regEx option for extracting it with various set behaviours if it fails would help me. =) 

I agree that some options of version handling would be handy. The trouble is that different studios might have very different version naming convention and systems so figuring out something that would work across the board would be challenging. On the other hand, I was developing on a production recently where current default version handling was actually requested because they specifically wanted to have ftrack versions for review separated from file versioning.

Ftrack in vanilla state is currently very opened system and quite frankly needs a developer to make full use of it (as does shotgun I'd say). I'm hoping things will get simpler with future updates.

Hey,

We are starting to look more at workflows and providing preconfigured solutions for the common ones that come up, as opposed to just giving you the tools to build it yourself. Expect to see advances in this area towards the new year.

Versioning is definitely one of those areas where we can provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience, whilst still retaining flexibility for those that want it.

Regarding the regex option - would you want that to be a global setting or customisable (e.g. per project / asset type)?

For failure handling I am guessing options like 'Auto-calculate', 'Ask user', 'Fail' - does that sound about right?

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

For me personally a global would be enough. But I for sure can see that some people would want and need per-project and per asset. So maybe a global one that you can override in the different stages.

Also a manual override so that you can edit a version and "hard set" it to a version of your liking. 

Your fail options sounds about right. =)

Thanks Martin! =) 

Hey,

We are starting to look more at workflows and providing preconfigured solutions for the common ones that come up, as opposed to just giving you the tools to build it yourself. Expect to see advances in this area towards the new year.

Versioning is definitely one of those areas where we can provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience, whilst still retaining flexibility for those that want it.

Regarding the regex option - would you want that to be a global setting or customisable (e.g. per project / asset type)?

For failure handling I am guessing options like 'Auto-calculate', 'Ask user', 'Fail' - does that sound about right?

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived