Task Column Translation for Multilingual Teams

Diego

Ftrack Team,   

Thank you for your openness and willingness to address important user ftrack requests.

I'm part of a large global team and we have team members using Ftrack from 3 different countries.  Although, many read/write in English our client notes and management leadership communicate in Japanese  Because of this we have a strong need to have translation function built into ftrack for Task names or Notes. 

As an example new feature function, would it be possible to have a column with Japanese task names but have a translated column in English?    

* i understand this type of feature might take your team time to implement, so as a "stop-gap" before available, would it possible to use an column "expression" to pull translations from google translate?   ...or... if there are any other ideas on how this can be done?

(we are using Ftrack 4.12.0.current.13.4120)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Diego,

I have relayed your feedback to the development team.  This isn't something that the product is looking to tackle in the near future.

We can definitely see the advantages this functionality would have for you and your team and we will hopefully be able to investigate further and invest the needed time in the future.

That being said the best workaround suggestion I can think of is to use the browsers built in translations. i have attached a gif showing how i used chromes built in browser translator to switch from viewing the site in english and then toggling it back to japanese.

I realise this does not give you the added benefit of both languages in the same view, but hopefully this will help in the meantime.

regards,

Daniel

browser_translation.gif