Flexiblity with role settings

jonathan-v

Hello,

We've ran into a bit of an issue with role settings.  We would like the ability to have the Role Type: ASSIGNED but not remove all of the project manager type options.  For instance I want a Project Manager but for just a specific job.  Currently setting a project manager opens up the user to access all jobs.  Is there a way to do this currently??  It's pretty vital to setup leads for a specific job, but still restrict access to other confidential projects.

Thanks!

JV

Hi Jonathan,

I believe what you are looking for is specifying what projects a certain role should apply for on a user. This can be done today, but is perhaps not obvious in the ui.

Here is a video showing how to do that: 

Here is our suggested approach:

1. Create a new PROJECT role called "Project lead" based on Project manager.
  2. Modify it to suit your needs, for example remove the permissions to remove/create projects etc.
  3. Now you can assign that role to users and specify what projects is should apply to.

The PROJECT role applies its permissions to the whole project, while the ASSIGNED role applies permissions only to tasks or versions the artist is assigned on.

In an upcoming version of ftrack is will also be possible to define what users should have that Project lead role when creating a project, so you don't have to go to Settings each time you create a new project.

Let me know if this solves your issue or if I have misunderstood your problem.

Cheers

Appreciate the quick response. 

Bjorn this definitely helps us for the short term!!  Thank you very much for this info.

I think in the future it is definitely helpful to be able to add more permissions to the ASSIGNED template.  Thus, avoiding having to manually set it per user.

Thanks again for the help.

Archived