Restricting task status changes

Tilt

Hi,

I'm evaluating our company's free trial and so far I'm really impressed by the slick GUI and the features of ftrack! Congratulations.

One question though... Can I prevent users from approving tasks themselves? I'd like this to be the responsibility of a supervisor or department lead. Do I need to define special roles or managers in ftrack?

Hi,

currently with our role and permission system you can only restrict them from changing "any" status, but that is not what you want. You still want the users to be able to change status from Not Started to In progress to Pending Review etc. With that said, we are working on a feature that will enable managers to set up permissions blocking users from changing specific status changes, for example, block them from setting a task in a status corresponding to an "approved" state. I don't have a release date for this feature yet, it's currently "later this year" depending on priorities.

One idea we have is to tie this into the Workflow schema builder, http://support.ftrack.com/customer/portal/articles/1063807

So when you select your statuses that should go into the schema, you can also set which roles can change them.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Fredrik

Thanks for your fast reply. Yes, it's like you said.

I like the simplicity of ftrack when it comes to having only four internal states no matter how many custom status types you define. So even a global option that lets only managers switch to/from the "Done" and "Blocked" states would already prevent accidental or bogus status changes by our artists. 

cheers

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

So even a global option that lets only managers switch to/from the "Done" and "Blocked" states would already prevent accidental or bogus status changes by our artists. 

This approach would make it easier for us to implement this feature (and make it available faster). I will run it through the team and post any updates in this thread.

Best Regards,

Fredrik

Archived