Import CSV in nested folders
2 2

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

I'm facing an issue while trying to import CSV data into nested folders.

Let's say I have this arborescence in my project :

a5bf3dc638dab09978fd14f7771d25dd.png

Now I want to create a shot with two tasks in the folder named Folder_2

Here is the CSV I'm importing :

Folder Name,Shot Name,Task Type,Task Name
Folder_2,Shot_1,Modeling,Mod
Folder_2,Shot_1,Matte painting,Mat

Even if I'm selecting the folder named Folder_2 beore importing, here is the result :

fb62c5d66671c8f9ca63c66604e63239.png

I have also tried with the folder's full path (Folder_1/Folder_2), but this does no work either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is apparently no way to import data to existing nested folders for now. In fact, it seems that is it not possible to import data elsewhere than to the first entity of a hierarchy if two or more entities of the same type are nested in said hierarchy. 

Could a simple path (relative or absolute) system be implemented to overcome this issues? 

Here is what I think the CSV could then look like :

Folder Name,Shot Name,Task Type,Task Name
Folder_1/Folder_2,Shot_1,Modeling,Mod
Folder_1/Folder_2,Shot_1,Matte Painting,Mat

Hi Francois,

Thanks for reaching out.

As you've guessed there is currently a limitation in how objects are matched and there is currently no way to match a type of object twice.

As a workaround, would you be able to select "Folder_1" in the project outliner and importing only the items within that folder?

Regards,
Lucas

Hi Lucas,

thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, the workaround you propose doesn't seems to work. I have tested twice to be sure. By doing so, I obtain the exact same result as in my second screenshot.

Hi Lucas,

yes, I was indeed doing it wrong : I was selecting Folder_1 in the main spreadsheet instead of in the project outliner. The workaround now works, thank you.

Are there chances that you will be working on an improvement that would allow us to match a type of object twice during CSV imports?