Suggestions about links improvements

Francois

Hi,

I have two suggestion about the way links works.

We have been using the import functionality recently. It worked great and saved us a lot of time, but I couldn't manage to find a way to create links while importing data, and I believe this is not possible right now. I understand creating links can be more difficult with the way importing works, due to the CSV format (many links on a single task would mean several column dedicated to links in the CSV for example) but I believe some ways could be experimented (like a special separator between several links coexisting in a single link column). 

Next remark : when browsing versions, it can be tedious to retrieve the task corresponding to a given version.  We came to think that automatically creating a link between a version and its corresponding task (or whatever the entity the version belongs to) could be handy as it would make the navigation between versions and tasks easier.

Are those suggestions understandable enough? Are they something you have already thought about?

I understand creating links can be more difficult with the way importing works, due to the CSV format (many links on a single task would mean several column dedicated to links in the CSV for example) but I believe some ways could be experimented (like a special separator between several links coexisting in a single link column). 

I was also thinking about the separator - but another think I see as difficult is the identifier. How would you uniquely identify the object that you want to link to? E.g. should it be something like "asset build / character a"?

Next remark : when browsing versions, it can be tedious to retrieve the task corresponding to a given version.  We came to think that automatically creating a link between a version and its corresponding task (or whatever the entity the version belongs to) could be handy as it would make the navigation between versions and tasks easier.

Would you like to elaborate on this a little, what in the current way of linking makes it tedious? Is their an attribute or a column that we can add to a the version spreadsheet to make it easier?

Thanks for the feedback! 

On 2017-7-20 at 9:56 AM, Mattias Lagergren said:

I was also thinking about the separator - but another think I see as difficult is the identifier. How would you uniquely identify the object that you want to link to? E.g. should it be something like "asset build / character a"?

That's right, identifying the target of the link could not be obvious. Right now, I d'ont really see any other way to do this than the one you propose (I believe you mean with it's full path, since the project root). 

Do entities (and by entity I mean anything that we can create : sequence, task, version, ...) have a internal unique ID that is not exposed to the users?

Would you like to elaborate on this a little, what in the current way of linking makes it tedious? Is their an attribute or a column that we can add to a the version spreadsheet to make it easier?

I do not meant that the way of creating links is tedious, but the fact that it wasn't easy to go from a version to its related task. Here is what i was I was looking for. 

4628ada98d979e09b1c6c48b9c6d3200.png

I believed that this would have been displayed in the Links tab of the version. I must admit it is not very intuitive the first time, as it is a link, but displayed elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback! 

My pleasure!

On 21/07/2017 at 0:27 PM, Francois said:

Do entities (and by entity I mean anything that we can create : sequence, task, version, ...) have a internal unique ID that is not exposed to the users?

Hi, yes - there is an idea but it is not exposed and highlighted in the UI. Can you copy it from the website URL if you open something in the sidebar (slideEntityId).

On 21/07/2017 at 0:27 PM, Francois said:

I believed that this would have been displayed in the Links tab of the version. I must admit it is not very intuitive the first time, as it is a link, but displayed elsewhere.

I see, yeah at the moment it is the Linked to attribute that you've found. I agree about it being good to be able to see this from the Versions spreadsheet and will add a feature request for this

Archived