Restricting projects user can see

jonathan-v

Hi Jonathan,

It appears my users have the ability to view all active projects.  Is there a way to restrict users to only being able to view projects they are assigned to?

Yes, but you need to change "Role type" to ASSIGNED.

I've recorded a video showing how it can be done, let me know if it helps. 

Best Regards,

Fredrik

post-4-0-24355100-1390040742_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hop onto this thread, but you've mentioned the role type. What exactly is the intention of this attribute? I've read the support article that mentions it but I'm still no sure how to use it or why it exists. The only difference seems to be in the amount of options I get when editing that role?

thanks

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

to start with, the name PROJECT and ASSIGNED is confusing at best, and as recently as this week we've decided to rename them to "ALL PROJECTS" and "ONLY ASSIGNED PROJECTS"

The difference:

When assigning a role to a user that is of the role type PROJECT (or ALL PROJECTS), the user can still see, and access, all projects in ftrack, and the permissions that you've set for the role will apply to all projects in ftrack.

When assigning a role to a user that is of the role type ASSIGNED (or ONLY ASSIGNED PROJECTS ), they will only see, and can only access the projects on which their tasks belongs to, kind of a restricted user and you can see the effect in the video I posted for Jonathan above, where they can only access, and see, the project they are assigned to.

Maybe this behaviour could have been just a permission on a role instead. "Access all" or "Access assigned" (or similar)

I hope this made it clearer. 

/Fredrik

• 5 years later...

Hi Paulo,

I verified this according to your settings and it works like it should in my environment.
So the configuration looks good so far.
Could you verify the settings for the project team?
North Star should be in the list on the tab Project Access as long as tasks are assigned to that account.
Also verify the settings on the tab Organize team.
And just to verify,  could you go into System settings/Workflow/Task boards and verify that "Not started" status is set for one of the columns.
I think that you should still see number of tasks even if that is not set, but please look at that as well.

When you assign/unassign tasks to this account, do you get notifications?

Regards,
Johan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paulo,

North Star shouldn't be added to the project in that way (because of the role).
But should get access to the project when tasks are assigned to that account.
If you assign a task to this account, do you see it in the list of people on the project?

When you assign/unassign tasks to this account, do you get notifications?

Regards,
Johan