Lock System for entity / attribute

Remus Avram

Hi Remus,

It is currently not possible to "lock" entities.´or attributes.

A possibility might be to develop a custom implementation to simulate the locking behaviour by reverting changes on locked entities by reverting changes in an event listener. For inspiration, you can see the example event listener to revert unauthorized status changes - forum thread.  

Regards,
Lucas

Hi Lucas,

thanks for your answer! We will try to do it through a custom implementation them, like you described above.

Still it's nice to have it implemented in Ftrack as default. It's useful for big projects with many coordinators.

For example if you change the name of a shot which is in progress and then publish a new version all the components will be published in a wrong place.

Cheers,

Remus

• 5 months later...
16 hours ago, Remus Avram said:

is there a way to lock an entity? In this case the locked entities can not be removed/renamed.

The closest you get is the "Delete object", "Update object" permissions that you have. But I assume that you want to go more granular that? Could you elaborate a little on this use-case, how you imagine it working and background. That helps me write this up as a feature request.

Hi Mattias! Thanks for your answer!

The use case of this is that coordinators / project managers can delete/rename sequence/shots/assetbuilds as long as artists didn't start working on them. In the moment when an artist change the status of a task to "In Progress", then the shot/asset and the sequence get locked and the folders get created and so on.

I was thinking also at an predelete event when it's asking you for the password to delete the objects and recreate it if the status it's in progress, but we have to keep the custom attributes values, description, etc in a separate location and restore them when the object is recreated which makes it more difficult.

Than you for elaborating! I will add a feature request for this with your background information.

The use case of this is that coordinators / project managers can delete/rename sequence/shots/assetbuilds as long as artists didn't start working on them. In the moment when an artist change the status of a task to "In Progress", then the shot/asset and the sequence get locked and the folders get created and so on.

I was thinking also at an predelete event when it's asking you for the password to delete the objects and recreate it if the status it's in progress, but we have to keep the custom attributes values, description, etc in a separate location and restore them when the object is recreated which makes it more difficult.

As a workaround I would suggest keeping the delete permissions really strict. What you could do is disabling deletion for all users and introduce a studio-wide custom action to delete things. This action could validate that the item is not "locked", i.e. no tasks are in progress, no versions are published etc.

Also - an event listener could be setup to listen to name changes and warn the user if they are renaming something that is "locked".

On 2/1/2017 at 9:52 AM, Mattias Lagergren said:

As a workaround I would suggest keeping the delete permissions really strict. What you could do is disabling deletion for all users and introduce a studio-wide custom action to delete things. This action could validate that the item is not "locked", i.e. no tasks are in progress, no versions are published etc.

One small problem here is that the API roles are merged with the WEB roles. This means I can't setup the coordinator to be able to not delete from the WEB, but allow him/she to delete through the action (API).

One workaround is to create another session with a different use user and API key which has the rights to delete.

Archived