Advanced version management

Francois

Hi,

we have been thinking to two ways that might improve the way versions works.

First, we would like to be able to choose where version can be deposited on a project's hierarchy. The idea behind this is to ensure that, for example, version are deposited on the corresponding task itself, and not on one of its parents (such as its parent shoot or sequence), in order to maintain the project as clean as possible. I know that users should be careful enough not to mess things up, but I have already encountered such cases where versions were deposited on wrong places, despite my explanations and warnings.

Secondly, would this possible to offer the possibility to limit the number of version of a given file that the server stores? For example, with a task set to keep only five consecutive versions, uploading a sixth version of would delete the first one (but keep the original numbering so we can still know the total number of uploaded versions). The aim would be, of course,  to reduce the space occupied on the server by large files.  Being able to set such a property at any of the levels of the project's hierarchy would be interesting, in order to limit the number of versions deposited only when relevant (i.e. only when working a certain type of files).

Any thoughts on this?

20 hours ago, Francois said:

First, we would like to be able to choose where version can be deposited on a project's hierarchy. The idea behind this is to ensure that, for example, version are deposited on the corresponding task itself, and not on one of its parents (such as its parent shoot or sequence), in order to maintain the project as clean as possible. I know that users should be careful enough not to mess things up, but I have already encountered such cases where versions were deposited on wrong places, despite my explanations and warnings.

At the moment it is not something we've planned to implement. You could however utilise our event processing system to notify/correct if mistakes are made.

20 hours ago, Francois said:

Secondly, would this possible to offer the possibility to limit the number of version of a given file that the server stores? For example, with a task set to keep only five consecutive versions, uploading a sixth version of would delete the first one (but keep the original numbering so we can still know the total number of uploaded versions). The aim would be, of course,  to reduce the space occupied on the server by large files.  Being able to set such a property at any of the levels of the project's hierarchy would be interesting, in order to limit the number of versions deposited only when relevant (i.e. only when working a certain type of files).

This sounds like an interesting idea but could be difficult in reality to capture all situations/rules that would apply. If you have some python knowledge this could also be automated by our event system so that you can really tailor this to your needs and requirements. 

Archived