Publishing naming conventions

Adam Tennant

When I publish to FTrack from Nuke it has some very unhelpful naming conventions. For example, the Nuke script that gets put into the shot folder structure is called "nukescript.nk" when it should keep the same name it had, i.e. the show, shot name and version.

E.g. XYZ_08_105_v001.nk

In the documentation it mentions various things about locations, components etc but that seems to get into a bunch of python coding. Is that the only option?

Hi Adam,

19 hours ago, Adam Tennant said:

In the documentation it mentions various things about locations, components etc but that seems to get into a bunch of python coding. Is that the only option?

Yes, at the moment I'm afraid that a custom location structure is the best option. However, this is something that we've heard from our users before. I'm afraid I cannot give any dates but it is definitely something that we would like to look into!

Most likely we would add an option for this when configuring the centralised storage scenario.

If you're targeting mostly smaller places I'd get onto that as a priority because it's the smaller places that are unlikely to have the resources to deal with that sort of thing. And it's vital to be able to have absolute, and preferably automatic, control of your file structure and naming conventions in almost every business in my experience, having been in IT for 20 years before I became a VFX artist.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Don"t know if I got the same issue but, as I'm very new to ftrack, i'll try to explain what i want to do.

I've created a Storage Scenario in our local server (let's name it G:) and a new project for an episode of a TV Show. It goes like this in my project list : TV Show (project) -> Episode 01 (episode) -> Shot_020 (shot) -> compositing (task). Moreover, we're working on After Effects.

What I want to do is, when I press the "publish" button in the ftrack extension in AE, for him to render and publish a .mov in 

G:/TV Show/Episode 01/Shot_020 called Shot_020_v001.mov

and then only, if other publishs happen, to create Shot_020_v002.mov, Shot_020_v003.mov, etc....

but actualy is creating the following

G:/tv_show/episode_01/shot_020/shot_020/v001 and then create a main.mov inside.

Is there any way to modify that in the general web interface or have I to go to the Python API as Adam was saying ? How can I keep the uppercases ?

Thank your for your time !

Hi Baloo, welcome to the forums! 

On 11/18/2016 at 4:57 PM, Baloo said:

Is there any way to modify that in the general web interface or have I to go to the Python API as Adam was saying ? How can I keep the uppercases ?

As of now there are no options to modify this in our web interface. What you can do is write a custom location plugin that generates the path that you want. Here is some documentation about location system: http://ftrack.rtd.ftrack.com/en/stable/developing/locations/index.html

Archived