Running ftrack connect from a git submodule
2 2

5 posts in this topic

In a previous post, I suggested changing some basic UI behavior in Ftrack.  Mattias suggested that I try to make the changes myself (I didn't even realize that was an option!).  While incorporating the ftrack-connect clone into my workflow, I came across the concept of submodules for Git.  After a ton of trial and error I've finished transitioning my connect project to successfully launch my custom actions from this new ftrack-connect submodule.  Now I'm running into some issues with missing dependencies when launching Maya (I haven't tried other programs yet).  

I'm just trying to launch Maya without any errors before I incorporate all of my custom Maya launching code and env variables.  Right now, Maya launches successfully, but I'm getting these errors:

# Error: line 1: ImportError: file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages\maya\app\general\CommandPort.py line 15: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found. #

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/igInitialize.mel line 63: ImportError: file C:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py line 10: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found. //

// Error: Unable to execute igInitialize.mel. //

// Error: line 0: ImportError: file C:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py line 10: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found. //

// Error: Unable to execute xgen.mel. //

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/xgenUI.mel line 198: Cannot find procedure "registerXGenPrefTab". //

// Error: ImportError: file C:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py line 10: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found. //

These directories already exist, but they're not being picked up.  I'm already adding sys.path to the PYTHONPATH like so::

env = os.environ.copy()

env['PYTHONPATH'] = \
	';'.join(sys.path) + \
	';path/to/ftrack_python_api' + \
	';path/to/another/module

I've found that there is definitely an issue with PySide.  When I run this block of code in a normal session of Maya:

import PySide
print PySide.__file__

It returns this path:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages\PySide\__init__.pyc

When I run that block of code from an Ftrack session of Maya, I get this error:

// Error: ImportError: file C:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py line 10: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found. //

I've tried adding 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages\PySide\__init__.pyc' to the PYTHONPATH, but that didn't do anything.   Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

17 hours ago, Mike said:

I've tried adding 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages\PySide\__init__.pyc' to the PYTHONPATH, but that didn't do anything.   Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

Try adding "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages" to the PYTHONPATH.

So, it turns out, because I was appending the existing path to the PYTHONPATH, it was causing a conflict between the different versions of Python.  Removing that line of code fixed the Python/PySide problem, but now I'm getting this error:

# Error: ImportError: file path\to\ftrack-python-api\source\ftrack_api\session.py line 21: No module named arrow #

So I still have some things to work out.

I'm still hitting a wall with this :/.  I've overcome those initial DLL errors and Maya launches fine now... It just doesn't hook up to Ftrack.  The plug-in just won't load.  I can see it in the plug-in manager, and when I click on it I get a message in the script editor that it launched, but the menu doesn't show up in Maya's menu bar.  I've tried searching for it by going to Help>find menu, but it doesn't exist.

I've started a repo in another thread so people can see exactly what I'm doing.  Any ideas? http://forum.ftrack.com/index.php?/topic/601-starting-a-public-repo-here-learning-tool-for-running-ftrack-from-source/#comment-2433