split tasks
4 4

9 posts in this topic

In my opinion split task could bring sense to the gant planning.

Currently we can't use gant to planify, for example compositing tasks as we know it is constantly split in time , first comp, waiting for approval, then internal retakes, then waiting for approval, then client retakes, then waiting for approval and so  on.

The tasks is constantly split in pieces and during the gaps, the artists do work on other shots/projects, si of we want to have an accurate view of the taks, and planify next steps (retakes), we need to be able to cut/split the task in pieces, escpecially inside a gant-like planning

I'd like to know if there are already plans to implement this.

We have exactly the same situation and that's why our PMs are not using the planning part of ftrack completely. They actually prefer to

keep their planning in MS project and this is one of the reasons.

Creating subtasks is not really an option since it would require more work to set it up and additionally it would complicate our pipeline.

File naming is controlled by the taskname means creating e.g., Compositing, CompRework1, CompRework2 etc would create a mess.

Cheers

23 hours ago, moritz.strothmann said:

We have exactly the same situation and that's why our PMs are not using the planning part of ftrack completely. They actually prefer to

keep their planning in MS project and this is one of the reasons.

Creating subtasks is not really an option since it would require more work to set it up and additionally it would complicate our pipeline.

File naming is controlled by the taskname means creating e.g., Compositing, CompRework1, CompRework2 etc would create a mess.

As of now we haven't made any decisions about moving forward with this feature. For you use-case, do you assign different artists at the different stages or is it just about controlling and splitting the task's start/end date.

Thanks for your reply Mattias.

It depends, most of the time it is the same artist working on the task.

Ofc. I could change the duration of a task without adjusting the bid days but that means

I don't see if an artist is free to take over something else. As an example if I have 2 bid days for a comp task

but due to waiting times for feedback, new renderings, plates whatever the end date could be 10 working days later.

So the artist would be blocked, according to the gantt charts, for 10 instead of 2 days....

+1 to this feature. It would really help in the different stages of a task. Such as first look, submitting temps, proposed final, and final. Then we could shift each of these pieces!

Thanks for the post on this!

+1 would be cool, not only for production management but also for departments like rigging. So they would be able to split the different work they have to do on a rigging task.

+1 We have so many projects running at the same time that someone might work on the same task on Monday and Friday, but on a different task the rest of the week.  Right now we can't plan accordingly or we need to create multiple tasks to reflect the reality.  This feature was requested multiple times by our projects managers and producers.