Should I use new API and sources to learn from ?

Paidi28

Hey I previously used the old API and was wondering should I move to the new one ? Is there anything that I currently can not do in it that I can do in the old one ? Is there any other resources or tutorials for using the API other than the documentation and the "Developing with ftrack" section of the docs ?

You can use both APIs together, so if there is something you cannot do with the new API, you can just fall back on the old API.

I don't know where to find extra tutorials, but ftrack has a public bitbucket account with some examples you can study. Most of them seem to be using the old API though.

Hey, Björn,

Not sure whether I should post a new post so will reply here first. I have created a script using the old API for populating ftrack from some outside data. I managed to get it working but it is quite slow so would like to use the new API.  When I try something like this however I get an error TypeError: list indices must be integers, not str

task['custom_attributes']['Category'] = item_dict['sub_type']

In the docs you have

task['custom_attributes']['my_text_field'] = 'foo'

Any idea where I am going wrong ?

It is a text value on a Task object ?

Edit* have since made some progress. My problem now appears to be that I cannot set the custom attribute or print their keys ? Thanks for the help!

[]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\ftrack\NewAPIHandler.py", line 80, in <module>
    handler.create_new_asset(sg_dict)
  File "C:\ftrack\NewAPIHandler.py", line 46, in create_new_asset
    asset['custom_attributes']['Category'] = shotgun_item_dict['sg_sub_type']
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\collection.py", line 420, in __
setitem__
    custom_attribute_value = self._get_entity_by_key(key)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\collection.py", line 386, in _g
et_entity_by_key
    configuration_id = self.get_configuration_id_from_key(key)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\collection.py", line 403, in ge
t_configuration_id_from_key
    raise KeyError(key)
KeyError: 'Category'

Archived