color in web browser vs quicktime/vlc

J Bills

Hi - I get different colors when uploading h264's to the web for client review vs downloading the same file and watching in QT or VLC.  The web browser (chrome, firefox, etc) is much more desaturated and lacks punch.  But I want to use the web browser and stop telling clients to view in a player.

Anything that can be done to sync these up and make the web reviews a bit better?  I could provide sample files if that would be helpful.

I think I know this problem very well and I'm afraid that there is not really a solution for this.

As far as I know the problem is that many applications including browsers often display videos with a limited range (16-235) instead of full range (0-255) which makes the videos look a bit flat (black looks grey)

If you have an NVIDIA card on windows you can change that behaviour in the NVIDIA display settings. You can find more information here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523992/tip-for-nvidia-users-using-hdmi-and-getting-accurate-color-format/

Of course this is only a solution on the user side. 

It's also a general issue wih HTML5 Video, so it's not a ftrack specific problem. Applications like VLC have their own range settings that's why there are no color shift/gamma shift problems there.

Archived