quality levels for review

Tilt

Hi!

We're encoding our own h264/webm clips for review based on the ffmpeg command that is mentioned somewhere in the API docs. Everything works great but I was wondering if there's documentation about the commands that are used when using ftrack's own encoding capabilities. I've noticed that there's a quality level to choose from in the ftrack settings. Is this just increasing the bit depth or are there other ffmpeg features at work?

I'm asking because you guys have probably already experimented with the dozens of h264 parameters that you can pass to ffmpeg and figured out a way to achieve good results while I would have to spend hours upon hours browsing video codec forums to even understand how all of this works ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've found this command to be pretty good for exrs;

-i "INPUT_PATH" -pix_fmt yuv420p -q:v 0 -vf lutrgb=r=gammaval(0.45454545):g=gammaval(0.45454545):b=gammaval(0.45454545),colormatrix=bt601:bt709,scale=trunc(iw/2)*2:trunc(ih/2)*2 -timecode 00:00:00:01 -y "OUTPUT_PATH"

Does this work good nowadays? We had lots of issues with banding in resulting files when using lutrgb some year ago.

Archived