2D/3D Asset Library

Anthony Kramer

Hey ftrack,

It would be really awesome to have an asset/element library for 2D and 3D assets built right in to ftrack. Seems like the underlying structure for this could borrow a lot from how projects already work and with the new workflows feature, it seems totally possible for a user like myself to use the project structure to cobble something like this together. BUT, I think if it were implemented as a separate feature, theres so much you guys could do with the interface.

I imagine that there would be a unique link for it in the main navigation bar right next to "My Tasks" so that everyone on ftrack would have access to it. The interface would allow you to filter and naviagte thru different categories of 2D elements (smoke, fire, muzzle flashes, etc) or 3D assets (props, vehicles, charactes, etc). Each one could either have a thumbnail or a small quicktime that would play when you hover over it ( like www.shutterstock.com/video/search?query=green+screen for example).

Futhermore, would be great to then build some intergration into nuke/maya so that you could download/import assets from thier location right into your script/scene.

-ak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there any official update on this?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could instruct us on how to build a library of models, textures, HDRI, etc, in separated folders, regardless of their respected project hierarchy. This way it is possible to use third-party applications like Connector to build a library with thumbnails, and reference the assets in ftrack projects with whatever hierarchy that suits the user. 

Although not web based, one option I can think of would be :

1) have a project to act as library,
2) one action which allows to re migrate the assets to/from a given project .
(could be a reworked version of this example: https://bitbucket.org/ftrack/ftrack-recipes/pull-requests/4)
This could be extended to keep reference (as metadata or custom attribute) on where the asset originally comes from (as project when publishing back).
3) a pyside based browser (so can be used as widget in maya, nuke and any other qt based application) to act as library browser.

Although requires some work, seems doable.
L.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 10:03 AM, Lorenzo Angeli said:

Although not web based, one option I can think of would be :

1) have a project to act as library,
2) one action which allows to re migrate the assets to/from a given project .
(could be a reworked version of this example: https://bitbucket.org/ftrack/ftrack-recipes/pull-requests/4)
This could be extended to keep reference (as metadata or custom attribute) on where the asset originally comes from (as project when publishing back).
3) a pyside based browser (so can be used as widget in maya, nuke and any other qt based application) to act as library browser.

Although requires some work, seems doable.
L.

Thank you for the reply.
This could be a possible solution. for us, it will make another problem, which is duplicating assets from our asset library into project folders. we don't want to do that since we only want to reference them in the scenes.

but thank you I will try this solution, if my limited knowledge of python allows me to do so :)

Archived