Open in Explorer/Finder

liveforpixel

Hi there,

Just to set expectations, my coding skills are incredibly weak, otherwise would have attempted to investigate making an action to do this, and if it is possible.

I am wondering if it is possible to add an extra feature to the Connect app, where when a plugin does not exist for the applications you use (in my case, Lightwave, zBrush, Mari and Modo), would it be possible to have a command where when you chose the appropriate action, connect opens the directory the file is located in, allowing you to quickly double click the file to load it.

In the version of the asset, the location is already there, and I can manually copy and paste it into explorer to get there, but feels if an action like this was built in would speed up the process a fair bit.

Thanks for your time.

I'd be curious about this myself.  I just started my ftrack trial and do most of my modeling in Modo so am curious if it is possible to either write a custom launcher for Modo or something like liveforpixel suggested to at least open the finder to the appropriate directory. 

Milan - if you ever do get the time I will be very thankful.

David - Glad to see another in the same situation. :)

Good luck with the trial, I initially gave up on ftrack, and then tried it again just before the end of the trial and the second time it just clicked, once you get a grasp on it and its intricacies and limitations, turns out to be quite powerful.

-----

Personally, without knowing if there are any limitations that make what I am requesting a bit difficult, a bit surprised this is not an 'official' function, as I could see it speeding up workflow for most users who don't have the expendable cash or expertise to modify ftrack to their specific needs.  I think this would apply more to 'indie' users or freelancers.

Milan - if you ever do get the time I will be very thankful.

David - Glad to see another in the same situation. :)

Good luck with the trial, I initially gave up on ftrack, and then tried it again just before the end of the trial and the second time it just clicked, once you get a grasp on it and its intricacies and limitations, turns out to be quite powerful.

-----

Personally, without knowing if there are any limitations that make what I am requesting a bit difficult, a bit surprised this is not an 'official' function, as I could see it speeding up workflow for most users who don't have the expendable cash or expertise to modify ftrack to their specific needs.  I think this would apply more to 'indie' users or freelancers.

Hi liveforpixel:

You should be able to adapt the action I posted in the Actions forum to suit this purpose. Right now I do bit extra stuff to handle resolving URLs from S3 and multithreading the downloading of Components, but if you are using a simple DiskAccessor or something similar, you can just remove all of that stuff and just open a subprocess with Finder and the file URL from the ftrack.Accessor.getFileSystemPath()

Archived