Custom Folder structures/Filenaming

Only found some old posts regarding this, I really dislike the way ftrack names files and creates folders, and I want to customize where stuff goes and how stuff is named after publishing . Is this still not possible without having to code my own publishing tools e.t.c? 

one example, I publish stuff and it doesnt have the version number in the filename, only in parent folder, if I want to send those to clients how will anyone know what version is what? I guess I could create my own send to client action that copies stuff to place X and renames it , but jeez.  this seems like a no-brainer to be able to customize stuff? what am I missing? 

• 3 weeks later...

As you have noted, default behaviour in the ftrack UI is to name folders according to project structure, eg, <project name>/<object name>/<asset name>/<version name>/

This can be customised with a location plugin if you want to assign folder / filenames explicitly when publishing via ftrack Connect

Introduction to creating location plugins here http://ftrack-connect.rtd.ftrack.com/en/stable/developing/tutorial/adding_a_location.html

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I sadly dont know how to even start with this, I dont want to be a developer I just want to use ftrack.  This seems insanely complicated for something as simple as changing paths?  I dont know how to use things like ftrack APIs and code for it, nor do I have the time to do this, but is this just the *mantra* of ftrack? I feel like I am missing something here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @finnjaegger apologies for the delayed follow-up here. We totally understand your frustration here, ideally our integrations frameworks would be able to be customised by anyone regardless of development skills.

It's certainly a direction we're trying to move in, making the integrations much more seamless to setup without needing to dive into code (for example our recent release of the plugin manager), but we've still got a long way to go.

As of today, depending on what you need to do with connect you may need to dive into some of its configurations to get the fully value out of it. That said, our support team is more than happy to try and walk you through things. If you prefer to drop us an email at support@ftrack.com we'll do our best to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...