Out of the box functionality.

rdurnin

Hello, I have been tasked with configuring a basic Ftrack install and am looking to make an estimate of the time involved in getting basic connectivity and file management in place. At present, the documentation gives a lot of suggestion about how to manage project data within the web interface, but does not link well to the API docs or any useful information about rolling out a running project. 

I have been through the current user docs and have been briefed on the road map, but am looking for information about the present state of end-user functionality and would like information on the following (please):

Creating project directories from the interface or automatically by pipeline processes. More specifically, what is in place and what I will be required to write.

Opening, saving, and publishing files from Nuke, Maya, and Hiero (as it applies).

Creating review iterations from rendered frame lists, and for which applications what functionality has been achieved.

Details regarding how much API  work will be required in order to push a project template out onto the floor as a structure of directories and have access to them using an OEM is key in estimating the time needed to achieve basic functionality. If there are plans to relieve studios of some of the development burden by offering a suite of tools to automate back-end work, that is fantastic, but currently they only stand to complicate a discussion about existing requirements and I would prefer to hear what is already in place.

Thanks

Hello,

By using Actions you can run a script that creates project directories from within the interface. You can also use the same events system as Actions to listen to specific events and call the same script. You can get some inspiration in this blog post.

If you base your project template and directory creation API script on the provided example in the blog post you should be up and running quite quickly with basic functionality. Creating a project, tasks and other content is straightforward by using the API but if you have any questions along the way, just send us an email at support@ftrack.com or post here on the forum. To get started, have a look at the API tutorials.

Below are links to documentation available for:

The example creates directories for Shots, and I'm sure I can modify it to create AssetBuild directories (etc) as well, thanks.

What I was hoping for was more of a list of what functionality exists for each of Maya, Nuke, and Hiero, as I have watched the videos and am looking to be able to define what requires 'configuring' and what requires building. 

Thanks,

r

There's no such detailed list available at present, the documentation is the only resource. I've summarised it below:

Maya

• Publish assets as asset versions to ftrack, either as a new version or an updated version.
  • Import asset versions from ftrack.
  • Manage asset versions in the scene. You can version them up and down and also remove them from the scene.
  • Access information such as notes on the task you're currently working on and those you're currently assigned to. From here you can also log time and change status on the task.

Nuke

• Publish and version up scripts. Upon publishing it can copy the files and also attach the Nuke script to the current task.
  • Open published scripts.
  • Import asset versions from ftrack.
  • Manage assets currently in your script and update those that are outdated.
  • Access information such as notes on the task you're currently working on, those you're currently assigned to and those in the node graph. From here you can also log time and change status on the task.

Hiero

• Map cuts in an edit to shots in ftrack, or create new shots.
  • Open and publish projects.
  • Publish clips as asset versions to ftrack.
  • Importing clips from ftrack.
  • Access information such as notes on the task you're currently working on, those you're currently assigned to and those in the node graph. From here you can also log time and change status on the task.
  • Update shot timings.
  • Scan ftrack for new asset versions.
  • Export shots as Nuke scripts to ftrack.
  • Build a new track in the timeline from asset versions in ftrack.

Let me know if you have any quesions.

Mattias

Archived