Import & Publishing issues using Houdini Connect

tan ya ting

Hi Guys, 

I'm trying the Houdini Connect Plugin (ftrack-connect-houdini-0.3.1) and I need some clarifications and help with some issues that I'm facing.

With regards to Publishing:

1. failed publish of geometry type (fbx) in houdini, with the following error in houdini console.
on the other hand. I was able to export the fbx fine with the native houdini plugin (file>Export>FilmboxFBX)

Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\resource\connect-standard-plugins\ftrack-connect-houdini-0.3.1\dependencies\ftrack_connect_houdini\ui\publisher.py", line 189, in publishAsset
         publishedComponents, message = self.connector.publishAsset(pubObj)
       File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\resource\connect-standard-plugins\ftrack-connect-houdini-0.3.1\dependencies\ftrack_connect_houdini\connector\houdinicon.py", line 122, in publishAsset
         publishedComponents, message = pubAsset.publishAsset(iAObj)
       File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\resource\connect-standard-plugins\ftrack-connect-houdini-0.3.1\dependencies\ftrack_connect_houdini\connector\houdiniassets.py", line 432, in publishAsset
         fbxRopnet.parm('sdkversion').set(GenericAsset.parseComboBoxNameValue(iAObj.options.get('fbxSDKVersion')))
     TypeError: unbound method parseComboBoxNameValue() must be called with GenericAsset instance as first argument (got unicode instance instead)

With regards to Importing:

2.  failed import of ALEMBIC files in houdini using "merge" option, with the following error in houdini console. 

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\common.zip\ftrack_connect\ui\widget\import_asset.py", line 172, in importSelectedComponents
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\common.zip\ftrack_connect\ui\widget\import_asset.py", line 220, in onImportComponent
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\resource\connect-standard-plugins\ftrack-connect-houdini-0.3.1\dependencies\ftrack_connect_houdini\connector\houdinicon.py", line 55, in importAsset
        result = importAsset.importAsset(iAObj)
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\resource\connect-standard-plugins\ftrack-connect-houdini-0.3.1\dependencies\ftrack_connect_houdini\connector\houdiniassets.py", line 321, in     importAsset
        GenericAsset.importAsset(self, iAObj)
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\resource\connect-standard-plugins\ftrack-connect-houdini-0.3.1\dependencies\ftrack_connect_houdini\connector\houdiniassets.py", line 91, in importAsset
        'alembicarchive', iAObj.assetName)
      File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/python2.7libs\houpythonportion\ui.py", line 927, in decorator
        return func(*args, **kwargs)
      File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py", line 9377, in createNode
        return _hou.Node_createNode(*args, **kwargs)
     hou.OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
     Invalid node name

3. failed import of houdini binary scene file (published using geotype) using the merge option as well. 

Needs Clarification: 

4. What's the difference between the houdini binary scene format and normal houdini .hip format? Are there any benefits of publishing [geometry] using houdini scene options? Cause from what I can see, it seems to function the same way as a normal houdini .hip format

5. Lastly Importing of published houdini scenes using the ftrack connect works fine!
   But can I clarify on what's the difference between using the "import" vs "merge" options for importing scene files? (.hip) 
   As "merge" seems to work fine in importing the contents of the .hip file, but "import" option brings in an empty null instead.
*attached images below for reference... 

Sorry for the spam of questions hahha 😅
Thanks in advance for any insight!

-Yating

ftrack_houdini_sceneImport_MERGE.JPG

ftrack_houdini_sceneImport_IMPORT.JPG

Hello Yating,

First, you mentioned you were trying out 0.3.1 but that version is not shipped with Connect package 1.1.2 (were your first traceback originates from).

Could you try once more after downloading the latest Houdini integration here and replacing the dated within "C:\Program Files (x86)\ftrack-connect-package-1.1.2\resource\connect-standard-plugins"?

Cheers

/Henrik

Hi Henrik, 

1 hour ago, Henrik Norin said:

First, you mentioned you were trying out 0.3.1 but that version is not shipped with Connect package 1.1.2 (were your first traceback originates from).

Thanks for the reply! but I'm alittle confused here haha. If houdini connect 0.3.1 is not shipped with ftrack connect package 1.1.2, then which version of the houdini connect should I be looking for installation?
The link attached above in the reply is houdini connect 0.3.1 , which is the one i'm using for the test though. 

Here are the ftrack connect and houdini connect version that I'm using:

-ftrack connect 1.1.8
-ftrack connect package 1.1.2
-ftrack connect houdini: 0.3.1

Nonetheless, I'll try reinstalling the houdini package! Will get back to you againn

ftrack_connectPackage_houdini.JPG

Edited by tan ya ting
adding more details

Hi Yating,

Answers to your questions:

1. This is a confirmed bug, will be fixed for next release.
  2. Tried to replicate it but no luck, could be unsupported alembic format. Could you share the file?
  3. Also a confirmed bug,  will be fixed for next release.
  4. Yes, the label should be "Houdini nodes" not "Houdini binary", dictating if selected/all nodes also should be exported to a .hip. "Attach scene to asset" will generate a new scene containing selected/all nodes. 
  5. Import creates a new subnet node and import all the nodes beneath, while merge imports the nodes into the current scene with risk of possible node name conflicts. We can't replicate the issue you have with Import generating an empty node, could you share the .hip?

Cheers

/Henrik