HDR/LOG 10bit Review-mp4

Finn Jäger

How are the chances to get something like VP9 or x265 codec or similar support so we can encode dailies in a better way? 

Ideally I would like to upload 10bit h265/vp9  acesCCT files and then get a dropdown or user preference driven view transform/LUT , this would also enable to us better QC in a review session as we could switch view transforms and play with gamma/gain in SDR , we dont have any of that flexibillity with using display reffered 8bit media . 

Current computers should all be able to do HEVC + a LUT in realtime, but a fallback would be nice of course. 

For the future then having the correct metadata to get the OS to display the image in actual HDR10 or something would be nice as well but that not that important right now as HDR displays arent very common.  

Would really help while working remote, Cheers! 

• 4 weeks later...

vp9 is possible at the moment make sure to use a mp4 container though... with webm as an extension it wont work.
x265 I think is problematic as the browser support is still limited. We use log c jpgs in RV a lot so, having OCIO ideally in the browser would be great.

Have been having the same dream to have log encoded media in the web too.

While talking about VP9, we have not made the switch cause the encoding times with ffmpeg compared to x264 are ridiculously high... this was a year ago maybe....  

I have not tried 10 bit...

cheers

Johannes