Faster querying

Jakub Trllo

Hi,

I have a question: Is there any faster possibility of getting all entities from project than with code below?
```PYTHON
# ft_project_id - Project's ID
entities_query = (
    "select id, name, parent_id, link, custom_attributes"
    " from TypedContext where project_id is \"{}\""
)
all_project_entities = session.query(
    entities_query.format(ft_project_id)
).all()
```

It's actually pretty fast (0.027s/entity) but with 4500 entities in project it takes 2 minutes.

EDITED:

Found out that when custom_attributes are not in query it is much faster (from 2 minutes -> 6 seconds), so it was my fault.

Thanks,

Jakub

On 11/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, JPrydz said:

Hi Jakub,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Regards
Johan

Hi,

I'll extend the question. Is possible to set custom attributes for multiple entities at once?

ISSUE:
I have dictionary where key represents id of ftrack entity and value represents a value of one specific custom attribute. I would like to set them all at once (or as fast as possible in other words).

NOTE:
I have also ftrack entities at the moment I need to change values of the custom attribute. But when I'll use `entity["custom_attributes"]["{specific_key}"] = value` to change value it takes on average 0,2 second (60 seconds for whole project). It's probably because every time is used `custom_attributes` key on entity, api is querying values of custom attributes? I assume that it is not possible to use UPDATE of INSERT queries, right?

Thanks,

Jakub

EDITED:

Found out that session has recorded_operations where I can put UpdateEntityOperation.  With this it takes less then 0.1 for whole project, GREAT :)  Is this usage "kosher"?

Hi @Jakub Trllo, you have almost answered yourself the question:
>> It's probably because every time is used `custom_attributes` key on entity, api is querying values of custom attributes?

It is quite possible that is what causing your slowdown.
If you don't need / care about what the previous value was you can think of turning off the auto_popluate using the context manager for it.
You can find further information here.

Let us know how it goes!

L.