Actions back to user?

jonathan-v

Hello,

We've been using actions quite a bit, and love them.  Is there a way to have a user end listener?

For instance we would like to have an action that could make an edit of all the published dailies and open rv on the users machine.

Another example is we want to use ftrack as a 3D repository interface.  Say we have a cool animation in our ftrack archive job, there would be an action to check that out to a user defined job.

As well as checking it back in at the end of a job.  This would be very useful.

I believe there is probably a way, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Thanks!

JV

Hi Jonathan,

to do this you would need to have a daemon running on each users machine listening to actions just like the main listener you have setup but only respond to actions of a certain type and from a certain user. We are looking at providing such a daemon in the future to handle more like you say, user related actions. If you want something like this today you would need to set it up yourself. But we are happy to assist you in any way we can. Does it sound like something that could work for you?

Cheers

We look forward to seeing what you develop on your end, but did manage to get a working solution for now. We were ideally thinking of a listener that is opened when triggered through the ftrack interface and closed after the program has been ran.  Though that might be tricky?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Jonathan,

I was more thinking of a listener that is always running in the background and can spawn new processes to handle the heavy lifting. It would be a daemon running in the background, like the one for dropbox or similar.

But perhaps I misunderstood your intentions with closing it?

Cheers 

Archived