Unable to import ftrack on windows 10 x64 machine running Python 3.7 64 bit

Reynaldo Zabala

I downloaded latest version of Python 3, only change i made was to move the default install location to my D drive instead of C drive (that shouldn't matter if the scripts have relative paths)

I then ran pip install ftrack-python-api successfully

Then when i run import ftrack_api and I get a bunch of errors related to the ftrack scripts not being upgraded to match version 3 of python. Some examples:

"anydbm" is deprecated and was renamed to "dbm"

"Queue" is not lowercase "queue"

Are you not supporting python 3 yet. Python 2 is ONLY Supported until 2020 and I don't really want to have to go back and change all my scripts in less than 1.5 years.

Hi Reynaldo, answered in support case, but for reference:

Although the official support for python 2.X is set to 2020, DCC company applications (Autodesk, Foundry etc...) will slowly move over. During last year's Siggraph we've been discussing with them and through the https://www.vfxplatform.com it has been decided to start putting ahead a 3.6.X but is not been nailed yet, and therefore it'll likely take way longer to get fully adopted by the industry (I'm expecting a delay of at least 2 years.)
To be honest I would avoid moving to py3 before all the DCC apps have been doing it.
If you are interested though, you can find our (not ready to merge, therefore not supported officially yet) branch for py3k compatibility here: https://bitbucket.org/ftrack/ftrack-python-api/pull-requests/191

Hope it helps.
L.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if there are any updates on this issue. I would like to start upgrading our internal scripts to Python3 as we are only few months away from 2020. 

Downloaded the latest version of python (Python3.8), and installed ftrack-python-api using pip.  And just like Reynaldos results, it installed fine but having difficulty importing ftrack_api.

Results after import ftrack_api:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "L:\HAL\Alican\Logger\import_psutil.py", line 3, in <module>
    import ftrack_api
  File "C:\Program Files\Python38\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    from .session import Session
  File "C:\Program Files\Python38\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\session.py", line 27, in <module>
    import ftrack_api.exception
  File "C:\Program Files\Python38\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\exception.py", line 7, in <module>
    import ftrack_api.entity.base
  File "C:\Program Files\Python38\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\entity\base.py", line 11, in <module>
    import ftrack_api.attribute
  File "C:\Program Files\Python38\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\attribute.py", line 13, in <module>
    import ftrack_api.collection
  File "C:\Program Files\Python38\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\collection.py", line 15, in <module>
    import ftrack_api.cache
  File "C:\Program Files\Python38\lib\site-packages\ftrack_api\cache.py", line 24, in <module>
    import anydbm
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'anydbm'

Thank you in advance!

Ali

Hi @Alican, although api3 have been tested only on 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7, this error is usually given when the api are not properly installed with all their dependencies.
I'd suggest looking at this post and try the suggested procedure to install the api with pip , through git.

If you still have issues, please let us know!
Cheers.

L.

• 3 years later...

Hey there, I'm new here and just wanted to chime in with my two cents on this issue. I totally feel your frustration with trying to get ftrack to work with Python 3 on a Windows 10 machine. It can be a real headache!
I recently discovered some helpful tips and advice on Windows 10 Product Key Reddit sub, which might be worth checking out if you're still having trouble. They have some great discussions about Python and how to get it working properly on Windows 10.
As for your specific issue, it sounds like there may be some compatibility issues between the ftrack scripts and Python 3.