Assigning user groups to objects

INFECTED

Hello,

i was wondering what assigning a user group to a object actually does? I don't see any connect functionality.

Documentation only says it's possible but not what it does: ftrack documentation

Btw. Our Producer all thought that this would assign all the task inside the object to all the users in the group or make the task available to them and they can select task from the object themselves and i actually think that's a good idea?!

Regards

Dennis

I think that are two purposes:

1. For communication; to keep track of that the object (and containing tasks) should be tackled by the users in the allocated group.
  2. The user selector when assigning tasks are restricted to the users in that group.

Btw. Our Producer all thought that this would assign all the task inside the object to all the users in the group or make the task available to them and they can select task from the object themselves and i actually think that's a good idea?!

This makes sense and is something that we've discussed internally but never got to investigate further.

Cool, thanks for your feedback Mattias.

The more i think about this concept the more it makes sense for me and is super appealing.

In a large project Producers or Lead artist don't necessarily need to assign all tasks to a specific user. The freedom of saying for example these are alle the 3D modelling tasks and i assign them to the 3D modelers group seems very nice.  These tasks then appear under the 'available task' column in the my task view for everyone in this group and if a 3D modeler drags a task to another column 'in progress' for example it gets assigned to him/her directly and disappears from the 'available task column for everyone else. So they just work through the pile as they like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 10:05 AM, INFECTED said:

In a large project Producers or Lead artist don't necessarily need to assign all tasks to a specific user. The freedom of saying for example these are alle the 3D modelling tasks and i assign them to the 3D modelers group seems very nice.  These tasks then appear under the 'available task' column in the my task view for everyone in this group and if a 3D modeler drags a task to another column 'in progress' for example it gets assigned to him/her directly and disappears from the 'available task column for everyone else. So they just work through the pile as they like.

Makes sense, would the 3d modellers group in this case be a group on that project? I.e. a subset of all 3d modellers in the Studio, that are now working on this project

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a big one for us. We are just starting to use FTrack and the goal is to create an 'Animation' object, and all tasks inside of that object are automatically assigned to users in the group. 

Furthermore, if there is a department lead, there is a need to create an object, say 'Compositing' for a shot, and that department lead is responsible for ensuring all tasks in that object are completed by the people in their department or themselves. I haven't found a way to add an assignee to any object other than Tasks.

We want to be able to make a producer the one ultimately responsible for all tasks within a shot, maybe not the person who is carrying out all tasks, but the shot itself is the responsibility of a specific producer. So we would create a 'Shot' object, and within that would be 'Animation', Modeling', 'Lighting', etc. objects, which would have individual tasks within them assigned to individual artists or groups.

If we make an object called 'WIP' than our producer would have to mark the status as 'Ready for Client Review' and is assigned as the sole person who can designate it as such.

Currently, it seems that only Tasks are assignable, is this correct?

ftrack_assignee_to_object.jpg