Automatic population of task thumbnails from parent thumbnail?

katalina-w

Hey all,

Feedback I've heard from both production and supervisors here is that they would like it if tasks automatically inherited the thumbnail of their shot/asset build parent until a task's own thumbnail is specifically set via publish. This way, a user's tasks won't be a list with blank thumbnails when a project is new. I've considered building our own thumbnail uploader to achieve this but the consensus is it would be ideal if it happened when thumbnails are added via the main web app. We've of course been using the thumbnail changer but it is tedious for production to drag and drop a thumbnail for every single task.

Is this something you'd consider including in a future version or would you suggest accomplishing it via actions?

Kat

Hi Fredrik,

Another thing we've been talking about here recently that ties into both this post and another of my previous posts (http://forum.ftrack.com/index.php?/topic/109-automatic-population-of-task-thumbnails-from-parent-thumbnail/) is that it would be nice to be able to set the thumbnail from import as well, perhaps by having a spreadsheet column containing the thumbnail file path. Let us know what you think.

Thanks,

Kat

Hi Fredrik,

Another thing we've been talking about here recently that ties into both this post and another of my previous posts (http://forum.ftrack.com/index.php?/topic/109-automatic-population-of-task-thumbnails-from-parent-thumbnail/) is that it would be nice to be able to set the thumbnail from import as well, perhaps by having a spreadsheet column containing the thumbnail file path. Let us know what you think.

Thanks,

Kat

Hi Katalina, I moved your reply to this topic so we can continue the discussion here.

I think it would be nice to have the option to import thumbnails as you say. Either through a file path (for local installations) or perhaps the ability to upload an excel sheet and map a column to thumbnails.

I will go-ahead and add this use-case to the existing feature request to improve how thumbnails are added and handled.

Thanks!

Mattias L 

• 1 month later...

Hi Katalina,

No updates on the feature-request so far, it is in our backlog but we haven't got to it yet. Meanwhile it could be implemented as a custom tool / script using our Python API.

You can send me an e-mail if this sounds like an interesting solution, and I can help you get started.

Thanks!

Mattias L

• 5 months later...

Hi Fredrik,

Thanks,

Kat

I am currently looking for a solution to this myself right now. I've got over 150 thumbnails to process. I would love to be able to do this on import if possible.

• 2 months later...

As long as we're asking for the moon,

It would be particularly useful if tasks not only inherited the thumbnail from the parent shot or asset build, but also automatically appeared with a stamp indicating the type of task, say first letter of the task type.

This way is hierarchy views, task boards, and team planners leads can visually identify a shot and task quickly and easily. 

Even if no thumbnail is submitted for an object, if the tasks thumbnails came with the default stamps it would simplify the information visually.

For example:

Shot 020 has a thumbnail that is a picture of a duck

020 Tracking is a picture of a duck with a "T" stamp 

020 Roto is a picture of a duck with a "R" stamp 

020 Compositing is a picture of a duck with a "C" stamp 

For example:

Shot 020 has a thumbnail that is a picture of a duck

020 Tracking is a picture of a duck with a "T" stamp 

020 Roto is a picture of a duck with a "R" stamp 

020 Compositing is a picture of a duck with a "C" stamp 

This is, brilliant idea. Even though the thumbnail population itself would be great at this point

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to add a little note.

We add a little thumbnail of the logo of the client we're woring on, so toyota get's a toyota logo and so on to the project thumb.

If you don't provide a thumbnail for the asset or shot it should take the master./top/project thumbnail, if possible.

That way you always have a thumbnail.

cheers

Robert

• 1 month later...

Hi Katalina, I moved your reply to this topic so we can continue the discussion here.

I think it would be nice to have the option to import thumbnails as you say. Either through a file path (for local installations) or perhaps the ability to upload an excel sheet and map a column to thumbnails.

I will go-ahead and add this use-case to the existing feature request to improve how thumbnails are added and handled.

Thanks!

Mattias L 

Are we there yet? Not that funny to manually import 100ds of thumbs. =/ 

Are we there yet? Not that funny to manually import 100ds of thumbs. =/ 

Nothing built-in to ftrack yet but my colleague Carl has made an action to upload thumbnails based on naming conventions:

https://bitbucket.org/snippets/ftrack/yK6p/action-batch-upload-thumbnails

It requires some python knowledge to get it up and running and perhaps tweaking it to your needs.

Nothing built-in to ftrack yet but my colleague Carl has made an action to upload thumbnails based on naming conventions:

https://bitbucket.org/snippets/ftrack/yK6p/action-batch-upload-thumbnails

It requires some python knowledge to get it up and running and perhaps tweaking it to your needs.

Looks like I'm not man enough to get that up and running. =) I have connect up and running but when running the py from terminal I'm hit with an error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "batch_upload_thumbnails_action.py", line 10, in <module>
    import ftrack
ImportError: No module named ftrack

I had missed some steps... Now api and connect is up. But the thumbs action gives error when started.

DEBUG:FTrackCore.api.event.hub.EventHub:Reconnect attempt 1 of 30

DEBUG:FTrackCore.api.event.hub.EventHub:Reconnect attempt 1 of 30

DEBUG:FTrackCore.api.event.hub.EventHub:Failed to reconnect automatically.

ERROR:FTrackCore.api.event.hub.EventHub:Error sending event <Event {'topic': 'ftrack.meta.subscribe', 'source': {'id': 'f0f1e0346a8649fb9ddf54cc81f51fa0', 'user': {'username': 'filmassist04'}}, 'target': '', 'sent': None, 'data': {'subscriber': {'id': '5e26b2c337594248bb57ce4e6f6eac5c'}, 'subscription': 'topic=ftrack.action.discover'}, 'id': 'dc251173fa5c458496b463b89bcc0fbe', 'inReplyToEvent': None}>.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/Applications/python-api/FTrackCore.egg/FTrackCore/api/event/hub.py", line 596, in _publish

self._eventNamespace, event, callback=callback

File "/Applications/python-api/FTrackCore.egg/FTrackCore/api/event/hub.py", line 781, in _emitEventPacket

self._codeNameMapping['event'], data=data, callback=callback

File "/Applications/python-api/FTrackCore.egg/FTrackCore/api/event/hub.py", line 801, in _sendPacket

self._connection.send(packet)

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'send'

Hello

Starting the API as the tutorial says works. Importing into pyton after that doesn't though.

Can't figure out how to upload an image here so will link to dropox...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwhjb2r7hqr5xjj/Screenshot_2015-07-07_16.00.13.png

Hi Henrik,

Have you downloaded the latest version of the API and Connect? Looks like something is wrong with your credentials.

Can you run plain Python with the same setup and try something simple, such as:

import ftrackftrack.getProjects()

Regards,

Carl

There are two ways of setting the credentials. When following the tutorial you only set them for the current file you are running.

If you instead edit 'ftrack.py' and update it to look something like:

# :coding: utf-8# :copyright: Copyright (c) ftrackimport osimport sys# Set the default ftrack server and API key variables to use if no matching# environment variables are found.os.environ['FTRACK_SERVER'] = 'https://YOUR-FTRACK-SERVER'os.environ['FTRACK_APIKEY'] = 'YOUR-API-KEY'os.environ['LOGNAME'] = 'YOUR-USERNAME'# Add ftrack core egg to path.sys.path.append(    os.path.join(        os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(__file__)), 'FTrackCore.egg'    ))# Import core ftrack functionality from egg into top level namespace.from FTrackCore import *

When modified and saved try to run the simple test case again:

import ftrackprint ftrack.getProjects()

If that works try to run the Action again:

python batch_upload_thumbnails_action.py

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Archived